Arrow Video's 4k restoration of Rawhead Rex is out now...
If an ancient demon rampaging through the Irish countryside sounds like your cup of tea, then Arrow Video’s Blu-ray release of Rawhead Rex is a must-have. With a strong cult following, this is a much-loved horror film that ticks all the right boxes: picturesque location, an angry demon, locals being eviscerated by the dozen, and good old-fashioned good vs evil. It’s a fun slice of 1980s gore.
When an unsuspecting farmer pulls up a stone column embedded in a barren field, he accidentally unleashes hell by freeing Rawhead Rex – a hulking monster that has been trapped there for thousands of years. With the seemingly unstoppable demon rampaging through the local village, American historian Howard Hallenbeck (David Dukes) is faced with the task of putting Rawhead back in the ground for good…
The first of several films to be adapted from Barker’s seminal Books of Blood series, Rawhead Rex has garnered a strong cult following over the years – now its clawing its way to the surface in a new 4K restoration from the original camera negative.
• Audio commentary with director George Pavlou
• Call Me Rawhead: interview with actor Heinrich von Bünau
• What the Devil Hath Wrought: interview with actor Ronan Wilmot
• Rawhead FX: interviews with creature effects artists Peter Mackenzie Litten and John Schroonraad, special effects supervisor Gerry Johnson, second unit cameraman Sean Corcoran and make-up artist Rosie Blackmore
• Interview with cameraman Sean Corcoran
• Rawhead Rising: artist Stephen R. Bissette on the aborted graphic novel adaptation
• Animated behind-the-scenes image gallery
• Original Trailer
• Artwork by Wes Benscoter
• Collector’s booklet featuring writing on the film by Kat Ellinger