Indicator’s limited Blu-ray Edition (UK premiere) of Tony Richardson's thriller starring Jack Nicholson is out now
Best known for Tom Jones, The Charge of the Light Brigade and his kitchen sink dramas Look Back in Anger and A Taste of Honey, British director Tony Richardson casts a severe eye on illegal immigration on the Texas-Mexico border in the tough 1982 thriller, The Border.
With his receding hairline and pot-gut Jack Nicholson puts in an astute and subtle performance as a former cop who refuses to become involved in the corruption rife amongst his fellow border patrolmen who allow illegal aliens into the US for a hefty price. Even so, his character is no saint and it’s hard to care too deeply about the fates of these unfortunate people trapped in the brutally depicted squalor of a Tex-Mex hell. The top-notch cast also includes Harvey Kietel, Warren Oates and Valerie Perrine; and some great music from Ry Cooder.
Indicator’s limited (3000 copies) Blu-ray Edition (UK Blu-ray premiere) is released 22 January with the following special features…
• High Definition remaster
• Original mono audio
• Audio commentary with historian Nick Pinkerton
• The Guardian/NFT Tribute to Tony Richardson (1992, 58 mins): archival audio recording of an event featuring Lindsay Anderson, Kevin Brownlow, Vanessa Redgrave, Karel Reisz and Natasha Richardson.
• Original theatrical trailer
• Image gallery
• New and improved English subtitles
• Exclusive booklet featuring new essays and film credits