Boy George is to ask a court to allow him to appear on Celebrity Big Brother in January.

The singer was convicted of assault and falsely imprisoning a rent boy earlier this year. He was freed early and is tagged and on curfew, but unless the conditions of his release on licence are altered he won’t be able to take part.

A judge has now ordered an urgent hearing of a High Court plea by the former Culture Club star to be allowed to enter the reality TV house.

Newspaper reports suggest the 48-year-old singer – real name George O’Dowd – has already agreed a £200,000 fee to take part in the show.

Probation Service officials are objecting to the conditions being changed and say the case raises issues of important legal principle.

The case was due to start on Monday (December 21) at London’s High Court, but had to be put off because Hugh Tomlinson QC, who is to represent the singer, has been overseas and had his flight home delayed.

Alison Macdonald, standing in for Mr Tomlinson, said the case was urgent as CBB started on January 3 and it needed to be resolved ‘by Wednesday at the latest’.

Mr Justice Bean said he had been looking into the issues it raised and a hearing should be held before him at 11am on Tuesday, December 22.