Pride and Prejudice and Zombies - Lily James turns Jane Austen's beloved heroine Lizzie Bennet into a kick-ass zombie-slaying warrior.
The notion of Jane Austen’s Elizabeth Bennet and Mr. Darcy battling zombies in a Regency England overrun with the undead is such a sublimely silly idea that it’s a great shame this adaptation of Seth Grahame-Smith’s literary mash-up Pride and Prejudice and Zombies isn’t more fun.
Lily James plays things admirably straight as the film’s warrior heroine, a Lizzie who has been combat trained in China and who trades blows as well as barbed repartee with Sam Riley’s haughty zombie-hunting Darcy. Lena Headey cuts a dash as a formidably martial, eye-patch-wearing Lady Catherine de Bourgh and Matt Smith is gloriously awful as unctuous parson Mr. Collins.
All the same, the script isn’t as sharp as its heroine’s blades and the joke does wear thin fairly quickly.
Certificate 15. Runtime 107 mins. Director Burr Steers
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies is available on Digital Download and is released on Blu-ray & DVD on 27 June, courtesy of Lionsgate Home Entertainment.
- Gag reel
- Deleted scenes
- Creating the Unmentionables – a look at how the design team created the look of the 19th-century zombies.
- From Austen to Zombies: Adapting a Classic – how Seth GrahemeSmith gave Jane Austen’s classic a zombie twist.
- Mr Collins Line-O-Rama – mash-up of Matt Smith’s funniest lines and moments in Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.
- The Bad Ass Bennet Sisters – a look at the training process and stunts.
- Courtship, Class and Carnage: Meet the Cast – cast profiles.