I’m a Celebrity… contestant Freddie Starr could reportedly be banned from going into the jungle due to an insurance hitch, according to the papers.

The Sun reports that the 68-year-old funnyman – who had major heart surgery last year – had to pull out minutes before filming was due to begin after show bosses said they had been unable to sort out his cover in time.

And now there is speculation that he may have to pull out of the show altogether, if the insurance cannot be sorted.

“Without insurance, contestants are not allowed to compete,” an insider said. “Because of his well-documented health problems, getting insurance has taken far longer than anybody thought.

“Bosses hope to get it sorted but if it doesn’t happen it will be the end of his jungle dream.”

Speculation began mounting that all was not well yesterday when the show’s official website confirmed Freddie had not entered the camp with the other celebrities.

An ITV spokesman confirmed that “unforseen circumstances” had led to the delay.

And Freddie – who remains in a luxury hotel in Australia while the others adapt to jungle life – dismissed claims that he had been taken ill.

“I’m all right, there’s no scare,” he told The Sun. “It’s all down to paperwork.

The new series begins on Sunday at 9pm on ITV1.