Esther Rantzen has become the fifth person to be get the boot from the jungle in I’m A Celebrity…Get Me Out Of Here!

The veteran TV presenter lost out in the public vote to ex-Blue star Simon Webbe in the second of two eliminations to be shown on Sunday night.

Earlier, Timmy Mallett’s departure from the jungle was shown, after he lost out to Brian Paddick in a surprise Bushtucker Trial.

Brian was immune from Sunday’s eviction as a result of his victory in the trial.

Esther reacted with shock to the news that she was going home, and immediately apologised to her fellow campmates. “I’m so sorry, gang,” she said. “Have a wonderful time without me.”

And afterwards she admitted that she had found the whole jungle experience an emotional one.

“I found my emotions very raw,” the 68-year-old told Ant and Dec, “You’re cut off from the busy-ness of everyday life, so all the things you had been holding back – in my case, certainly, came to the fore.

But I loved the friendships with the people,” she added. Every now and again people would gang up against an individual and I was very upset with myself because if you had asked me I would have said I could deal with that, but I couldn’t.

Seven people now remain in the jungle, with another due to get their marching orders on Monday.