From Eureka Entertainment comes Billy Wilder’s courtroom drama starring Tyrone Power, Marlene Dietrich and Charles Laughton, on Blu-ray for the first time in the UK as a part of The Masters of Cinemas Series.
When a wealthy widow is found murdered, her married suitor, Leonard Vole (Tyrone Power), is accused of the crime. Vole’s only hope for acquittal is the testimony of his wife (Marlene Dietrich). But his airtight alibi shatters when she reveals some shocking secrets of her own…
Based on Agatha Christie’s play of the same name, this vastly entertaining mystery is littered with twists and turns and one or two terrific red herrings. Charles Laughton, giving the performance of his career, plays the eccentric barrister defending Vole. But is the defendant innocent or guilty? After a while, even the barrister can’t make up his mind…
Nominated for six Academy Awards, Witness for the Prosecution was reportedly praised by Christie herself as the best adaptation of her work she had seen. Power’s nuanced performance keeps you guessing throughout, while Dietrich makes one of her most enthralling latter-day appearances. And Elsa Lanchester (Laughton’s real-life wife), practically steals her husband’s thunder as nurse Miss Plimsoll – and her delightful turn earned her an Oscar nomination.
The Masters of Cinema Series is proud to present Billy Wilder’s masterpiece on Blu-ray for the first time in the UK (out on 10 September), with the following special features…
• 1080p presentation of the film on Blu-ray
• Uncompressed LPCM mono soundtrack
• Optional English SDH subtitles
• Audio commentary by critic Kat Ellinger
• Monocle and Cigars: Simon Callow on Charles Laughton in Witness for the Prosecution
• New video interview with film scholar Neil Sinyard
• Archival footage of Billy Wilder discussing Witness for the Prosecution
• Collector’s booklet featuring new essays and rare archival imagery
• Reversible Sleeve