Ant and Dec have revealed that they knew the ITV1 series Red or Black? would be a flop last year, but were adamant the second series would be better.
They admitted it was a bad decision to broadcast the show every night for a week. According to The Sun, Dec said: “In hindsight, we shouldn’t have done it every night. It would have been nice to do six weeks on a Saturday night.
“We kind of figured it was a Saturday night show last year. We all got that wrong and hold our hands up to that.”
Dec admitted: “When we had a winner on the first night, we all got back to our dressing room and said, ‘We shouldn’t be doing this again tomorrow, it should be weekly.’”
But the Geordie duo have vowed that this year’s series, which will screen in August, will be brilliant Saturday night TV.
Numerous changes have been made to the show to improve its flaws. The show was hit by controversy last year, when the first millionaire winner, Nathan Hageman had been convicted for assaulting a woman.
“We had some unfortunate situations with some of the contestants, which overshadowed the show, probably disproportionately.”
Ant believes that Hageman’s history sent the show into ‘overdrive’, but assures the same thing won’t happen again this year.
He added: “We know we have a great set of contestants and have all been looked at so we don’t have that to worry.”
Red or Black? will have just eight contestants per show as opposed to hundreds of contestants being whittled down over 10 rounds.
Dec said: “It is nice starting with eight and getting to know them a bit more and investing in them a bit more.”
“The changes have made it a better show. It is still electric and the end game is very exciting.”