Ant and Dec’s Saturday Night Takeaway is reportedly set to return to screens next year for the first new series since 2009.

According to reports ITV bosses plan to bring the show back next spring to serve as a ratings rival to the second series of BBC talent show The Voice.

And Dec said he was “very excited” at the prospect of the quiz programme returning.

“It feels like a new project again,” he said. “We can’t wait to start.”

The revived show would be ITV’s latest attempt to win Saturday night viewers, following the ratings battle earlier this year when The Voice went head to head with Britain’s Got Talent.

Although the BBC initially won the ratings war during the blind audition stage of the show, viewing figures for The Voice dropped dramatically once the live shows began, with Britain’s Got Talent ultimately triumphing.

“It’s war,” a source said of the latest move. “Ant and Dec plus Simon Cowell equals winners.”

The pair are also set to return to screens this autumn in a new series of the game show Red Or Black, while the ratings war between the two channels will be re-ignited when The X Factor and Strictly Come Dancing once again go head to head this autumn.