The new judge spot was given to Motsi Mabuse…
Anton Du Beke has reportedly threatened to quit Strictly if he is not given an “enhanced role” in the new series after he was snubbed for a spot on the judging panel.
The professional dancer is said to have thrown a tantrum after it was announced that Oti Mabuse’s sister, Motsi Mabute, was chosen to replace Dame Darcey Bussell instead of him.
“Anton has gone out of his way to make it known he wanted the job on the judging panel ever since Darcey Bussell left,” an insider told The Sun on Sunday.
“He felt if they recruited within the Strictly family, it should be him. And despite not doing a screen test for the role, he still really thought he had a chance.
“As far as he was concerned, appearing on Strictly for 15 series has been his screen test.
“So when the news broke that Motsi was the new judge, he was livid. And he claimed he would quit unless the Strictly bosses gave him an ‘enhanced’ position.
“It was a real snub to his pride, especially as this is the second time he’s been overlooked.”
Anton previously admitted on Graham Norton’s Radio 2 show that he’s the man “qualified” to take over Darcey’s role.
“Do you know what? I’m certainly qualified,” Anton replied when asked by Graham if he’d like the job. “I suspect there’ll be conversations going on, but it’s one of those things… I’m definitely qualified to do it, I’d love to do it, but we’ll have to wait to be asked in the normal way.
“I wish I could make the decision for them, but if I could do that I’d have made the final 12 times.”
Darcey announced in April that she was stepping down from her role as judge, a position she held since 2012.
Motsi was revealed as her replacement last week. Unsurprisingly, South African born Motsi is no stranger to the dance floor, having been crowned German Latin Champion and a South African Champion in the past.
She is also no stranger to a judging panel, having appeared on Let’s Dance, the German version of Strictly Come Dancing as a judge since 2011.