Jeremy Clarkson’s future remains unclear after one newspaper reported that the BBC is on the verge of sacking him.

The Top Gear presenter has been left in limbo for two weeks since the corporation announced his suspension following what it described as ‘a fracas’ with producer Oisin Tymon.

A BBC spokesman said: “No decision has been made. When we have an outcome, we will announce it.”

Jeremy Clarkson leaving his home in London



(Daniel Leal-Olivas/PA)

 

But the Daily Telegraph said the corporation’s director general Lord Hall was expected to announce the star’s sacking today after considering an internal investigation.

According to the newspaper, the inquiry, led by BBC Scotland boss Ken MacQuarrie, concluded that Clarkson verbally abused Mr Tymon for 20 minutes before launching a 30-second physical assault at a luxury Yorkshire hotel.

Senior BBC executives are attempting to convince Radio 2 Breakfast Show host Chris Evans to take over his role on Top Gear, sources told the newspaper.

James May, Richard Hammond, Jeremy Clarkson during filming for BBC programme Top Gear



(Ellis O’Brien/BBC Worldwide Limi/PA)

 

But Evans has previously ruled himself out of the running, saying: “I can categorically say I am not and will never be running for office. Please discount my candidacy.”

Clarkson left his London flat in a taxi around 4.40pm and when asked if he had heard from the BBC yesterday, he told reporters: “Nothing. Not a sausage.”

The presenter, alongside co-hosts James May and Richard Hammond, was scheduled to take part in four live Top Gear shows in Norway this week, but it was announced on Sunday they had been postponed.

On the same day, Clarkson described his week as “turbulent” and claimed he was joking when he appeared to criticise BBC bosses during an expletive-laden rant at a charity event.