Bruce Forsyth is set to return to Strictly Come Dancing on Saturday after missing last week’s show due to illness.

The 81-year-old pulled out of the show on doctor’s orders after going down with the flu.

“Bruce is feeling better, so we’re delighted that he’ll be back at the helm of this Saturday’s Strictly Come Dancing alongside Tess,” a BBC spokeswoman said.

It was the first time that Forsyth had missed an edition of the show since it began in 2004.

He was replaced last week by comedian Ronnie Corbett, who acted as guest host alongside Tess Daly. It Takes Two presenter Claudia Winkleman stepped in to interview the performers as they came off stage.

Meanwhile, Jade Johnson’s future in the competition is still hanging in the balance after she sustained a serious knee injury during last week’s dress rehearsal.

The athlete, who is partnering dancer Ian Waite, had to pull out of last Saturday’s show at the last minute, and has been unable to train this week. However the rules of the show state that if she misses another week she will forfeit the entire contest.

BBC doctors have advised her not to dance, but her own doctor has said she may be able to perform.

Johnson said, “I want to dance. I feel like I owe it to Ian and everyone who’s supported us.”

An insider told The Sun: Jade isn’t a quitter – but she can’t risk ruining her career. Long jumping is her life.”