Channel 4 has shelved plans to give Jonathan Ross a £10m deal to host his own chat show, according to the papers.

Earlier in the week it was reported that the contract – which would have given the 49-year-old 20 shows a year for two years – had been put on hold until new chief executive David Abraham joins the channel in the next few weeks.

However The Sun reports that they have now pulled the plug after Abraham described the deal as a “retrograde” idea.

“David isn’t so sure that Jonathan Ross is the answer to Channel 4 ‘s prayers,” an insider told the paper.

“Jonathan’s a great broadcaster but the feeling is there’s no need for us to rush into signing him.

“That’s not to say it won’t happen further down the line. David needs to get his feet under the table first.”

Ross – who currently fronts Friday Night With Jonathan Ross on BBC1 – is due to leave the BBC in July when his £18m contract with the corporation ends.

A spokesman for Channel 4 said, “We continue to talk to Jonathan about working together.”