Simon Cowell has officially endorsed Gary Barlow as a potential X Factor judge, following reports that he had been signed up for the show.
The mogul – who will be replaced by a new judge on the next series while he is busy with the US edition of the show – told the News Of The World that he was certain the Take That singer would get the job.
“I think he would be terrific on it. He’s very competitive,” Cowell said. “I am confident Gary will sign a deal to become a judge within weeks.”
However he delivered a potential blow to Saturdays singer Frankie Sandford – who has been named as a possible replacement for Cheryl Cole – by saying, “Who is she?”
It was revealed earlier this week that Cheryl would be joining Simon on the US version of the show which begins in the autumn.
It is thought Cowell will return to the UK show later in the series, possibly for the live finals – but he added that he was not concerned the programme might flop in his absence and he assured his fans he would still take part.
“I’m not worried about it being a success,” he said. “I promise you I’m still going to be involved in the show.”
But although The Sun reported on Saturday that Barlow had signed up to be a judge and also confirmed the return of Louis Walsh, Cowell told the paper that nothing had been decided.
And he added that he did not know when the new judging line-up would be announced.
“We are literally making it up on a daily basis and I really mean that,” he said. We are trying to come up with the best idea.”