X Factor boss Simon Cowell said Frankie Cocozza has ‘blown a wonderful opportunity’ after the teenage hopeful was axed for his drug boasts.

Simon said the 18-year-old had ‘no one to blame but himself’ after he was booted out of the contest after he apparently talked about using cocaine.

X Factor bosses will make an announcement today (Wednesday) about how Saturday’s programme will pan out following Frankie’s unexpected exit.

Simon told the Sun: “Frankie’s blown a wonderful opportunity. It’s very sad, but he has no one to blame but himself.”

Frankie’s mentor Gary Barlow said he was ‘hugely disappointed’ that the singer had ‘thrown away’ the opportunity after he admitted he no longer ‘deserves’ his place in the ITV show.

An X Factor spokeswoman said the teenager was leaving ‘after breaking competition rules’.

She would not elaborate on which rule had been broken, but it is thought he had been overheard by production staff talking about drug use. However, it’s understood there was no police involvement before his departure.

His antics have already prompted an investigation by broadcasting watchdog Ofcom into the series.

The young wannabe has been pictured on a string of nights out since finding fame in the contest. On Sunday’s results show it emerged he had only slept for half an hour on Saturday night.

Yesterday he said that his life had ‘gone out of control’ while taking part in the show. As he left, he apologised to Gary and fans who had been voting for him.