X Factor newcomer Gary Barlow has revealed that he does not want the new series of the show to be X-rated.

The Take That frontman, who is joining the judging panel along with Kelly Rowland and Tulisa Contostavlos, said that he wanted to avoid performances like the raunchy routine by Christina Aguilera on the 2010 final.

“I watched last year with my 10-year-old and my eight-year-old, and Christina Aguilera was too much for me,” Gary told the Mirror.

And the father-of-three said this year’s competition would be more about finding the best singers – and that he hoped to see a reduction in the number of ‘novelty’ acts making progress in the competition.

“The TV companies are always going to push for the ridiculous acts to get through but Im hoping that we can resist that this year,” he said. “We’ll see if its possible.”

“For Saturday night entertainment, people want something to love, something to hate and something to laugh at.

And he also hinted that the teenage hopefuls would ultimately be the ones to watch.

“I think they are the best, the most exciting and the true future of this show and this format,” Gary admitted.

“I look at the people we’ve got and I think we’ve got some really fantastic talent.”