Meryl Streep turns 60 today.
I’m sure I could easily burn 60 candles of glowing praise for Meryl in honour of this special occasion. However, I sadly don’t have the time, so instead here’s one for each decade:
1. Meryl is an astounding actress with a particular mastery of accents. Silkwood, Kramer vs. Kramer, Sophie’s Choice, The Bridges of Madison County, Out of Africa, The Devil Wears Prada, Adaptation, Music of the Heart, One True Thing, Postcards From the Edge, A Cry in the Dark, Ironweed, The French Lieutenant’s Woman, The Deer Hunter, Doubt – these films feature just some of her great performances. She’s so versatile.
2. Meryl’s performances in the above films won her 15 Oscar nominations, and she bagged two Academy Awards for Sophie’s Choice and Kramer Vs. Kramer. She also holds the record for the actor with the most Golden Globe nominations. She’s widely considered the greatest living actress, and if you fancy checking out her skills then you’ll be pleased to hear that Sky Movies Drama is celebrating her birthday with a selection of her movies today.
3. Meryl has a wonderful sense of humour and doesn’t come across as standoffish, unlike so many other Hollywood stars.
4. Meryl looks great for her age. In fact, I might have to redo my top ten beauties over 60 list now that she’s become a contender.
6. Meryl in Mamma Mia! Her performance as Donna has encouraged women of a certain age everywhere to let their hair down, get those old dancing shoes on and have the time of their life. The film’s showing on Sky Movies Premiere today at 8pm, and there’ll be more about Mamma Mia! on Movie Talk tomorrow.