Speculation is mounting that Bruce Forsyth may quit Strictly Come Dancing after the next series, according to the News Of The World.

The paper reports that show bosses are bracing themselves for the 82-year-old to announce he is bowing out, following his decision not to host the Sunday results show when the series returns in October.

“We are all resigned to the fact that this is likely to be Bruce’s last series of Strictly,” a source said.

“He himself has said he feels every year gets harder and harder.

“The sensible thing to do would be to announce it at the start of this series – but we expect everyone to keep him in suspense and do it at the end.”

Bruce has been hosting Strictly since it began in 2004 – but has faced criticism from some fans who have suggested he is “too old” for the show.

He announced earlier this year he would not front the Sunday results show due to being left exhausted by the Saturday night programme. Claudia Winkleman will co-host the results with Tess Daly.

“It was entirely Bruce’s decision to give up the Sunday night show,” the insider added.

“He doesn’t give up anything lightly but he made it clear to producers he no longer has the stamina for two shows.”

The new series begins on October 2 with a launch programme introducing the celebrities and their partners due to be screened on September 11.