Joe McElderry has shrugged off the anti-X Factor campaign which has fuelled a keenly fought battle for the Christmas No 1, saying it’s nothing personal.

But he said he would be ‘disappointed’ if he failed to top the charts with debut single The Climb.

Speaking to BBC Breakfast on Friday morning, the talent show winner said: “I’m not really seeing it as a personal attack, because I think if any other person would have won it would have been the same case – and it’s more against The X Factor than the actual winner.

“I would be disappointed if it’s not No 1 – but it’s out of my hands and there’s nothing I can do about it and I just hope people get behind us and support us and buy the single.”

Latest sales figures from Thursday showed Joe – who had been the bookies’ favourite after four straight X Factor festive chart-toppers – was trailing the US rap-metal act.

On Thursday the band performed their track live on BBC Radio 5 Live and had to be faded out after they launched into section of the song which is littered with obscenities, despite being warned by producers.

But Joe said he was still to hear the song: “I think I should maybe have a listen to it, but I haven’t heard it yet.”

Chart experts have predicted that each of the tracks could sell up to half a million copies by Sunday when chart positions are announced.

Joe said: “It is just a chart battle at the end of the day. It’s just a more documented one than other years.”