Public order charges against Hollywood star Jonathan Rhys-Meyers have been dropped before a court in his native Ireland.

The State instead cautioned the actor, who was arrested at Dublin Airport last month for being drunk and using threatening and abusive behaviour.

The star, who is grieving the death of his mother only two weeks ago, did not turn up at the court in central Dublin but, through his solicitor, accepted responsibility and apologised.

He was about to board a British Midland flight to London on Sunday, November 18, having appeared as a guest on an Irish television chat show the night before.

The 30-year-old star of hit television series The Tudors was charged at Whitehall Garda Station, close to the airport, under the Public Order Act, but was later released on cash bail.

Garda Noel Barry told Dublin District Court that when cautioned on charges of being intoxicated in public and using threatening and abusive behaviour, the actor made ‘no reply’.

A solicitor for the Director of Public Prosecutions told Judge Angela Ni Chonduin the State did not wish to proceed with the charges, but would deal with the case through the adult cautioning scheme.