Michael Barrymore will not face charges over the death of Stuart Lubbock in his swimming pool six years ago, the Crown Prosecution Service has confirmed.
Essex CPS said it had advised Essex Police that nobody should be charged over the death.
Barrymore, 55, and two other men, Justin Merritt and Jonathan Kenny, who were being questioned on Monday at Harlow Police Station, were released this afternoon.
Barrymore was arrested in June by officers investigating the death of Mr Lubbock at the star’s then home in Roydon, Essex, in March 2001.
An investigation was conducted but nobody was charged. The investigation was reopened in December.
On Monday, Chris McCann, of Essex CPS, said: “There is still no answer in either the scientific or medical evidence how or by whose hand Mr Lubbock died. If we are ever to consider a prosecution, we must be able to say that Mr Lubbock died as result of the actions of a named person or persons, as shown in the medical explanation for his death.”
Mr McCann said he’d considered new evidence and had decided that “there is insufficient evidence for a realistic prospect of conviction against the three individuals”.
Mr McCann advised previously on this case when a file was received in 2002.
He said his decision then was “there was no evidence to charge any person either for the death of Mr Lubbock or for the injuries he received”.
He went on: “There’s no forensic evidence in this case that connects any person or object to any potential defendant and, more importantly, to Mr Lubbock.”