The X Factor presenter Olly Murs made a ‘massive f%#k up’” tonight by telling a contestant she was going home before the result was officially announced.
After Olly and his co-host Caroline Flack asked the judges to choose who they wanted to send home between Monica Michael and Anton Stephans, Olly told Monica she was eliminated, before Caroline said: “No, Olly, she’s not.”
Olly then said: “Sorry. I apologise for that. Sorry Monica. I do apologise.”
I apologise to everyone tonight I made a massive f%#k up at the end. It was so tense!! I’m still learning & hope that never happens again!
— Olly Murs (@ollyofficial) November 15, 2015
Former X Factor host Dermot O’Leary also tweeted.
Didn’t see the show tonight,but live TV is a tricky old beast at times.After this weekend… perhaps some sense of context should prevail.
— Dermot O’Leary (@radioleary) November 15, 2015
It appeared to be the case that Olly thought three out of the four judges had opted to send Monica home, meaning that she would have been automatically out of the competition.
It was clarified that two judges said they wanted to send Monica home, while the other two said they wanted to send Anton home – meaning it was ‘deadlock’ and would go back to the public vote.
We all make mistakes . I make LOADS in life and on telly … It’s live ❤️❤️❤️ https://t.co/MM7nmEJcch
— caroline flack (@carolineflack1) November 15, 2015
Caroline then announced: “The act who received the fewest votes from the public and who will be leaving the competition tonight is …it’s Monica Michael.”
Olly’s mistake in the results show comes after Judges’ Houses went live for the first time in the show’s 11-year history last month – proving to be a ratings turn-off for viewers.
Monica on the X Factor (Syco/Thames/Corbis/Dymond)
It was criticised due to sound issues in that the judges could not always hear what they were being asked by the presenters.
And a feature where the singing wannabes pleaded for a place in the final line-up was axed the following night after it was met with viewers’ disapproval.
Meanwhile, Monica’s dreams were not the only ones to be shattered, as Max Stone was also voted off the show.
It was a double blow for the pair who were also told they will not be included in The X Factor live tour.
Simon and Max ( Syco/Thames/Corbis/Dymond)
Londoner Monica was originally supposed to perform (Bang Bang) My Baby Shot Me Down by Nancy Sinatra on Saturday night’s show, but her song was changed at short notice following the attacks in Paris.
Caroline told the crowd. ”There are a couple of song choices in tonight’s show that both the judges and contestants felt we should change.”
Her rendition of Veronika Bozeman’s What Is Love was praised by the judges.
On learning of her fate on the Sunday results programme, 26-year-old Monica said: “Oh my God I had such an amazing journey.”
The X Factor – Olly with Anton, Monica and Caroline (Syco/Thames/Corbis/Dymond)
She lost out to Anton in the sing-off, who will go through to next week’s show.
Devon-born Max received the fewest public votes for his version of Secret Garden by Bruce Springsteen from the movie Jerry Maguire.
On Saturday night’s show, Simon Cowell made reference to the Paris attacks, saying: “In light of what happened last night, we would like to send our thoughts and our prayers to everyone who was affected in Paris last night. And most importantly, please stay safe.”