Sir Jimmy Savile was interviewed by police five years ago over an allegation of indecent assault at a children’s home during the 1970s.
Surrey Police confirmed officers questioned the Jim’ll Fix It star under caution in 2007 in relation to the claims, but said senior prosecutors decided there was insufficient evidence to charge him.
The force revealed details of its investigation after a number of alleged victims accused the late radio and television presenter of sexually abusing them.
In a TV documentary due to be screened tomorrow, Sir Jimmy is said to have preyed on girls in his Rolls-Royce and at the BBC Television Centre in a series of alleged incidents dating back over four decades.
Speaking on Exposure: The Other Side Of Jimmy Savile, one woman tells how she met the star at a school in Surrey in 1974 when she was 14 before he assaulted her in his caravan which was parked in the school grounds.
A number of other sexual abuse allegations involving the former Top Of The Pops host and under-aged girls have also surfaced in newspaper reports, with many women claiming to be speaking out over their alleged ordeals for the first time.
In a statement released on Monday, Surrey Police said: “In 2007 Surrey Police received an historic allegation of indecent assault which is alleged to have occurred at a children’s home in Staines during the 1970s.
“The allegation was investigated and an individual was interviewed under caution. The matter was referred to the Crown Prosecution Service for a charging decision who advised there was insufficient evidence to take any further action.”
Friends and relations of the flamboyant bachelor have expressed their upset that the allegations are being made when Sir Jimmy, who died last year at the age of 84, is no longer around to defend himself.
A spokesman for ITV defended its programme, saying it was the result of an ‘in-depth investigation into long-standing allegations of serious and widespread sexual misconduct’ by Sir Jimmy.