Sophie Ellis-Bextor: Strictly theft was an ‘opportunistic’ crime

Strictly Come Dancing star Sophie Ellis-Bextor has said the thieves who struck contestants’ dressing rooms while the show was on air were ‘opportunistic’.

Police are investigating the incident in which a number of valuables, including an iPad, phone and jewellery, are said to have been stolen from an area used by female competitors.

The thefts occurred when the BBC One show headed to Blackpool for a heat filmed in the Tower Ballroom.

Appearing as a guest on ITV’s Daybreak this morning, Sophie said: “It was just an opportunistic thing. The police are looking into it.”

“There’s no one to blame for it,” she added.

Lancashire Police were alerted to the thefts shortly after Strictly finished on Saturday night.

They said: “It was reported to us at around 9:45pm that some items had been taken from a dressing room within the building.

“Officers are investigating the theft and are making a number of inquiries to trace the person or people responsible and we would appeal to anyone who may have seen any suspicious activity in the area to contact police.”

Susanna Reid and Natalie Gumede were at the top of the judges’ leaderboard, after impressing with their performances and both drawing scores of 39 points out of a possible 40.

Viewers saw actress Fiona Fullerton and partner Anton Du Beke voted off the series.

 

Latest TV News

NAV BUG FIX