The BBC has confirmed that The Voice will return for a third series in 2014.
The corporation revealed the news via its Twitter page on Saturday night shortly after the latest battle rounds show had been screened.
However viewers had already been alerted to the fact that the show was returning after Saturday’s programme ended with a call for applicants for next year.
News of The Voice’s return follows reports in recent days that the show would be coming back next year.
Trade paper Broadcast said earlier this week that a third series was in the works but no official announcement had been made.
Meanwhile The Sun followed up the reports with claims that the next run would cost the BBC around £22m – the price they originally paid for the rights to make two series of the show.
Mark Linsey, entertainment commissioner of BBC One, said the show had been a ‘huge success’ for the channel.
“Finding a Saturday night break-out hit is incredibly difficult but this show hit the ground running and it’s fantastic to ensure its future on the channel,” he added.
Meanwhile the show’s executive producer Moira Ross also welcomed the news.
“The Voice is a global format phenomenon and it’s been an extraordinary ride crafting it into a much watched and loved show for BBC One audiences,” she said. “I’m thrilled to be continuing that journey.”
Earlier in the day the BBC had denied reports that the show was returning before the news was confirmed on Saturday night.
However it now appears that a third series had been on the cards all along, with a source telling Broadcast that the programme would have had to be a ‘complete turkey’ not to be renewed.
However the show’s viewing figures have improved since it moved to a later timeslot to avoid a clash with BGT.
While the first edition of series two attracted around 6.2m viewers the average ratings have risen to around eight million in recent weeks.