Great news for Tom Hardy fans as the hit drama Taboo is given the green light for a second series
Following the huge success of the first series, the BBC has announced that Taboo, starring Hollywood favourite, Tom Hardy, will return for a second series.
Over 8 million viewers tuned in during January and February to watch brooding British A-lister , Tom, play vengeful business man James Delaney who sought justice for the murder of his father Horace.
The 39-year-old actor, who has starred in blockbusters Dark Knight, Mad Max and Inception and who created and co-produced Taboo along with his dad Chips and sceenwriter Stephen Knight said, “We are grateful and excited to continue our relationship with the BBC and FX in contributing towards British drama. Fantastic news.”
Charlotte Moore, Director of BBC Content said the series had been a huge Saturday night hit and had drawn in big audiences on iPlayer making it the most watched show on iPlayer after Sherlock and the docudrama, Murdered by My Boyfriend. She explained: “Taboo has been a phenomenal success and proves overnight ratings are not the only measure of success. Taboo has engaged younger audiences seeing record numbers coming to iPlayer.”
She added, “A second series can’t come soon enough.”
Set in 1814, series one was packed with murder, treachery and betrayal and followed James Delaney (Hardy), who everyone believed was dead return to London from Africa to inherit what was left of his father’s shipping empire only to discover his father’s legacy was a poisoned chalice.
Executive producer Sir Ridley Scott said: “We’re thrilled people want to know what happens next and that the BBC and FX are up for more adventures with the devil Delaney and the league of the damned.”
The Taboo series 1 box set is available on BBC iPlayer until 27 March.