A natural accent – or at least, a fake natural accent – is essential in any film. Our guest writer Sabrina Dougall tells us her all-time favourite artificial accents in cinema.
1. Lindsay Lohan (Hallie Parker/Annie James) – The Parent Trap
Simultaneously a British and an American twin, in this timeless light-hearted comedy – bravo Li-Lo!
2. Gary Oldman (Shelly Runyon) – The Contender
Originally from New Cross, London, Oldman manages a smart American accent in this political thriller.
3. Gwyneth Paltrow (Viola de Lesseps) – Shakespeare in Love
The stateside blonde beauty won an Academy Award with her sparkling British accent in John Madden’s romantic drama.
4. Toni Collette (Sheryl Hoover) – Little Miss Sunshine
Despite originating from Sydney, Australia, Collette received $1 million for her role in The Sixth Sense after displaying a flawless American accent. She most definitely pulls it off again in this unforgettable comedy drama – worth every penny, if you ask us.
5. Kate Beckinsale (Charlotte) – Last Days of Disco
Another sneakily accurate American accent – did you know she’s actually British?! Her Hollywood good looks had us fooled.
6. Nicole Kidman (Silvia Broome) – The Interpreter
A polished South African accent – tricky – but well executed by our Aussie girl as she juggles French and British dialects in the starring role of Sydney Pollack’s mystery thriller.
7. Renee Zellwegger (Bridget Jones) – Bridget Jones’s Diary
Born in Texas to a Swiss father and a Norwegian mother, we totally bought her believable British accent as the self-deprecating everygirl in this feel-good romcom.
8. Cate Blanchett (Sheba Hart) – Notes on a Scandal
Ranked no. 31 as one of the 100 Sexiest Stars in film history by Empire Magazine (2007), Blanchett delivers a laid-back, yet carefully precise English accent in Richard Eyre’s masterpiece. We could never have guessed that she was really born in Melbourne, Australia!
9. Catherine Zeta-Jones (Velma Kelly) – Chicago
Simply a delight for the ears! We can easily forget about that tiny voice in the back of our heads that reminds us the multi-talented megastar was born in rural Wales.