Former TOWIE star Kirk Norcross thanked firefighters for ‘saving my life’ after he was rescued from a fire that broke out at his father’s home.

The 24-year-old reality television star told his followers on Twitter that he was asleep in the house when a fire broke out and he was treated for the effects of smoke inhalation after trying to put it out himself.

He tweeted: “Dramas!!!! Got woke up to my dads house on fire! Tried my best to put it out #MyLungsAreF***** thanks mr fireman for saving my life! X”

Essex County Fire and Rescue service confirmed they were called after a fire started in the bathroom of the house owned by his father, nightclub owner Michael Norcross, in Bulphan, near Thurrock, at around 2.50pm on Tuesday.

A spokesman said the fire was quickly extinguished and Kirk, who appeared in Celebrity Big Brother last year after quitting TOWIE, was treated by paramedics.

Assistant divisional officer Tony Clark said: “The fire appears to have been started accidentally by a pile of towels stacked on a shelf too close to a down-lighter in the ceiling.

“The man had inhaled some smoke and was given oxygen therapy by firefighters and then checked over by ambulance crews. By the time we left the scene he seemed to be OK.”