The X Factor USA will not return for a fourth series following Simon Cowell’s decision to return to the panel of the UK show.

While producers had wanted the mogul to return to the show, with suggestion that he could commute between the two shows, Simon has instead decided to commit himself to the UK edition – meaning the end for its US equivalent.

The 54-year-old will instead divide his time between London and New York, to allow girlfriend Lauren Silverman – who is due to give birth to his son this month – to spend time with her own family.

“Simon made the decision to sign up to the UK X Factor in November,” a source told the Mirror. “Because of his personal change in circumstances and impending fatherhood, he can’t be commuting back and forth to LA.

“Instead he will split his time with Lauren between London and New York, where her family is based. This also allows him to give the UK version his full focus and attention.”

The X Factor USA was launched in a blaze of publicity in 2011, with hope it would be as big as its UK equivalent.

However it never took off with audiences in the same way, with ratings suffering a major dip during the most recent series.

Simon confirmed his return to the show, following months of speculation, in a statement on Friday.

He said he was ‘absolutely thrilled’ to be coming back to the UK panel and added: “I’m excited to find a global superstar again.”

Louis Walsh is now also tipped to return despite having previously said he would be quitting at the end of the 2013 series.

However a question mark now hangs over the rest of the line-up, with rumours that Cheryl Cole could be about to return, while Rita Ora is also tipped to join.