Wogan escapes blaze at home

Sir Terry Wogan joked that he narrowly escaped “singed eyebrows” following a blaze at his home.

The veteran broadcaster told his Radio 2 audience that they could have been listening to “a crisp” if his daughter hadn’t heard the smoke alarm.

Emergency services were called to Sir Terry’s property in Taplow, Buckinghamshire, at 11.30pm on Tuesday night after a blaze took hold in a tumble dryer.

It took two firefighters wearing breathing apparatus half an hour to bring the kitchen fire under control.

Sir Terry told listeners: “I must say you are lucky to have me this morning, you could be listening to a crisp because the Wogan household nearly went up, well it did go up in smoke last night.

The star added: “Luckily, my alert daughter was there to hear the smoke alarm.

“Equally luckily we have a wonderful fire service in Buckinghamshire and Berkshire and they were with us within 10 minutes and capably, ably and calmly settled everything.”

Thanking the emergency services involved, the presenter – who recently stepped down as commentator on the Eurovision Song Contest – added: “Well done fellas – you saved an old gentleman from singed eyebrows.”

Get exclusive access to your favourite stars. Subscribe to TV Times magazine

Latest TV News