X Factor bosses have denied reports that contestant Laura White will be returning to the competition.

Hot favourite Laura was eliminated from the competiton last Saturday after ending up in the bottom two with Spanish singer Ruth Lorenzo.

More than 35,000 angry viewers signed an online petition to have Laura reinstated on the ITV1 show, with many claiming they had experienced problems trying to vote for her on Saturday night.

And reports in The Sun on Thursday claimed that Laura had told a group of fans in London: “I’m going back on the show.”

But a spokesperson for The X Factor clarified there had been ‘no issues’ with the voting system and insisted that Laura would not be returning to the show.

The source said: “There were absolutely no issues with the phone lines or the voting system which is subject to rigorous procedures and protocols.

“Our viewers vote for the act they want to keep in the competition and last Saturday, Laura White and Ruth Lorenzo received the least number of votes.

“There are no plans to bring Laura back to The X Factor.”